Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Marathon Monday - a day late

Here is last weeks training in a quick recap.

1200 yds swimming and 25 miles running.

Now the highlights. That 25 miles running included a 9 mile run all by myself. And when I say by myself I mean alone I barely even saw any other runners. I was out of town so those that I did see I didn't know.

Getting ready for the marathon I'm realizing that a chunk of the training is by myself. That's okay but my former watch was unreliable in terms of recording the distance. So, I did upgrade to the Garmin 310xt. There was a lot of hemming and hawing and mental masturbation about what watch to get. I narrowed it down to the 310 or the 610 but I went with the 310 with the idea that I can use it on the bike and have the whole multisport mode if I want.

I have successfully set it up including that it beeps at me in my heart rate zone. The jury is still out as to whether this is a 100% good thing because I'm doing a lot more walking than I'd like to. On the other hand I'm out there almost every day and I 'm not skipping workouts. Perhaps these two things are related.

So I used my new watch for my long run Saturday morning. Headed out the door and went until it told me I had gone 4.5 miles - turned around and came back. Pretty snazzy if you ask me.  I don't have any maps or anything to show you because when I plugged it in this morning at home I was prompted to update the firmware which wiped my info from Saturday. Doh!

Goals for this week. 

This is my last week of winging it because the Runners World plan officially starts on Monday. No more messages from Training Peaks saying ... you have no workouts scheduled. They will say stuff :-)

My goals for this week are to continue to learn about my new watch. I'm going to run 5 days. I will figure out a 5 mile loop from my house. I'm also going to get back on the bike this week for a ride on Sunday. It's been too long. And there will be a swim or two - most likely just one - okay it's already Tuesday let's just say it. One swim.

No comments:

Post a Comment