Friday, January 13, 2012

Amy vs. the collard greens

Alternate title : lessons learned from the farm share.

I am a part of a fruit and veggie coop. That means that every two weeks I go around the block and pick up a box of fruits and veggies. They are all organic and locally sourced for the most part.

Getting the swing of the veggie share has been a learning experience and I should say that I don't want to give the impression that I have the swing of it now. It's a lot of veggies all at once and you have to be ready to deal with them or they spoil before you can eat them. We usually eat the fruit with no issues.

There are mystery fruits and veggies - that's always fun. I find facebook to be invaluable to identifying fruits and veggies that I've never seen before.  And you get what you get and you don't get upset.

I'm like to try new things. So that's the plan try new things.

Apparently collard greens are always in season in Florida.
This is the third time we've gotten them. The first time I couldn't figure out what to do with them so they didn't get eaten in time. The next time I steamed them - yuck!

Why would I even bother - well I think they are pretty healthy. More dark green veggies is probably a good thing in my diet. Plus,  My husband has ordered and enjoyed collard greens in a restaurant.

Here's how the whole thing went down.
I checked the recipe in advance to know that I needed some kind of salty pork something to cook these buggers.

My daughter saw the recipe open before school - she asked "Mom are you cooking lettuce?" I was still asleep and at first I said no but then upon reflection I added, "well, basically yes"

These are collard greens.

One reason you have to be ready for these is they are HUGE and take up too much fridge space.

This is the salty ham thing boiling in water until it makes a "flavorful broth"

First I rinsed the leaves a lot. Then I cut out the thick stems leaving only the green leafy part and cut it into pieces.

It was about 40 minutes till I got somewhat of a flavorful broth.

Add the greens and one dried chili pepper.

Pretty I thought in the pan. Simmer for 15-30 minutes. I went with 30 just because I could.

The finished product. Was - okay. I ate my whole bowl - my husband ate two. It was lunch and the kids were in school so they didn't try it.

So that's it. Success with the collard greens. It's a bit of a process for something that tastes a lot like spinach but I have a feeling it's pretty healthy.

Next up beets : maybe. They are on my counter prepared to cook but I'll admit I'm afraid of them.

1 comment:

  1. Roasted beets are AMAZING. And you can shred them and put them on your salad raw. Or add the leftover cooked ones to your salad. If there are any leftover.

    ReplyDelete