Thursday, July 26, 2012

Triathlon Training Thursday - Countdown to Rev3 14 weeks

 I know you've been sitting at home thinking what will I do with my time now that there hasn't been a triathlon training Thursday blog post by Amy in weeks.

Or not ...

Either way it's back because I'm 14 weeks out from the next race and this helps keep my focus on my goals for training.

The Race = Rev3 Florida in Venice, Florida October 28th, 2012
My next race which actually probably could be called my A race for the year is Rev3 Florida. (sounds fierce, right ... "A" race ... like I have a serious plan or something - which I really don't).

This is a first time race in this location. I'm racing what they call the half rev which is a 70.3 distance. This will be my second race at this distance and so I have a time goal not just a completion goal.

The Big Hairy Ambitious Goal
Bite off more than you can chew and then chew it!

That goal is 5 hours and 30 minutes. Or 360 minutes. For some reason 360 minutes sounds shorter to me than 5 hours and 30 minutes.

Yikes.

I think that breaks down to a 30 minute swim, 3 hour bike, and 2 hour half-marathon.

That's ambitious since it will mean my fastest swim ever, a super focused bike split and did I mention I've only ever broken 2 hours once in a half-marathon and that half-marathon was not the third leg of a triathlon.

Oh right and my previous 70.3 was 6:55 so I'm hoping to trim a solid block of time off that result.

It's going to take some work to get there. Stay tuned to hear how I plan to pull this off over the next 14 weeks. No more goofing around - time to get to work. Actually I'm going to go get my toenails done but that's all part of the plan, trust me. Actually it's irrelevant to the plan but I have track tonight so I've got time at the moment and my toes are gnarly.

2 comments:

  1. good luck on your training. i am gearing up for Miami Man 70.3 November 11. i did it last year but though i am planning on shaving off some time, not as ambitious as you ... REPHRASE ... I am not as fast as you. i look forward to hearing about your training. Do you have any races in-between? I am basically race-less until November.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll probably do the August Trilogy to redeem myself for the sprint swim and then also maybe the Escape to Miami International distance in September. I'm not actually registered for either of these races and to be honest don't even know the correct dates for either of them but that's what's in my head at the moment. Will your kids be doing the tri on 8/5? I'm signing mine up.

    ReplyDelete