Friday, August 10, 2012

And the Leibster goes to ....

A local blogger has given me a Leibster Award. WooHoo!

Whaaaat is a Liebster award? Well TriathlonMami (who gave it to me) tells me that it's this:
The Liebster Award is given to upcoming bloggers who have less than 200 followers.
The meaning: Liebster is German and means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing and welcome.
And of course, there are pay it forward rules: 

Rules for receiving this award:

1. Each person must post 11 things about themselves.
2. Then answer the questions the tagger sent for them, plus create 11 questions for the people they’ve tagged to answer.
3. Choose 11 people and link them in your post.
4. Notify the people you have tagged.
5. No tag backs

Okay so it's a little bit like a blogging chain letter but here goes. 

So, without further ado 11 random things about me:
  1. I am the Cliff Clavin of my family. I seriously have almost endless trivial knowledge on all kinds of random facts. Like why steel cut oats are supposed to be better or what the difference between 110 and 220 electrical currents are, how to calculate intra-day margin rates on a brokerage account, or the first numbers of the fibonacci sequence (0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13) I can drive people my husband nuts so I'm always trying to keep my mouth shut so as to not be overly annoying. I am also perpetually failing at this goal.
  2. I have a postal disorder. I can be counted on to purchase gifts and or cards for people who are out of town and then take weeks / months to actually make it to the post office. Same with thank you cards. I write them, address them and frequently forget to mail them.
  3. I have knit 3 baby blankets in my life. All of them pretty ugly and imperfect. Each of them presents for family members who love me too much to be overly critical.
  4. I am the shortest person in my immediate family (husband, brother, mom and dad) and as a result I have delusions about how long my arms are. I am constantly trying to reach for things (parking garage ticket dispensers, kitchen shelves, water bottles on my bike behind my seat that I can't get to which amuses my family brother to no end. 
  5. I am not a great speller. I rely on spell check and when I can't figure out how to spell a word I pick another instead. This is particularly bothersome now that I have two new readers in the house and they frequently ask me how to spell stuff.
  6. I love body art and yet I have no tattoos. I love other peoples body art but personally never come up with anything that I love enough to put on my body. Weird ... I know. But should I complete an iron distance triathlon you bet your bootie that's tattoo worthy. 
  7. My favorite dinner meal is spaghetti and red sauce. It has been the same since I was maybe 5 years old. I really could eat it every day.
  8. I wear a size 7 shoe. I know you were curious and now you know.
  9. I don't like asparagus, beets, collard greens or squash (except zuchinni). I try to be open minded with vegetables but seriously these are not yummy to me.
  10. I am an incredibly light sleeper. Seriously, if it's not completely dark and if somebody is breathing heavily in the immediate area - fuggedaboutit.
  11. I really want to pull my kids from school for one year and take them around the country/word in an RV. I'm not sure I have the courage to do this or if my husband will ever go for it but it's out there on the to do list.

Part III: 11 Questions Triathlonmami asked me


  1. Why did you start blogging? My brother omitted that I ran faster than him in the run portion of a triathlon and that was enough challenge for me. Game-on! It's also possible that I have too much free time.
  2. Has blogging changed you in any way? I don't think so. Well, I no longer email my brother random thoughts I just put them out here in public for him to read. I'm kidding there - a little bit.
  3. What is your favorite place on Earth? The beach. More specifically Maui. I was there on vacation once and never wanted to come back. Of course, I haven't been everywhere, yet.
  4. If you were stuck on a desert island with only one book, what would it be? Seriously I had better only be stuck there for a week at most. One book?!?!  What am I supposed to do read it over and over... aaack no way.
  5. What living person inspires you most? Why? Probably sister Madonna Buder.  Her nickname is the Iron Nun. Her ability to be totally selfless while doing these endurance events is inspiring.
  6. What historical person inspires you most? Why? There are a lot of inspiring people in history and picking one is really hard. I am most inspired by people throughout history who have gone against the grain to correct large injustices (slavery, segregation, gender equality) even when they knew they most likely would make very little difference and it might cost them their standard of living and in some cases their lives. Having the inner strength to follow the right path is something I find truly admirable. I always ask myself if I would have the courage to do the same. I've never had to do anything like that so I don't know but I do hope that I would be able to. On the flip side the absence of this inner compass is something I find really frightening.
  7. If you were able to have a superpower what would it be? Flying. I mean seriously that would be very helpful in getting around Miami.
  8. What do you wish you could master? Good question ... I wish I had musical talent but I have none. Closer to reality  the flying bike mount is something I want to try but am a little a lot afraid of.
  9. What do you do to relax? run. slowly.
  10. What is your favorite part of the day? Early in the morning when the house is quiet and everybody but me is sleeping. Before I had kids this was running with the sunrise - that one is still pretty great.
  11.  Think fast! What is the first thing you can think of to bring a smile to your face? My kiddos peacefully sleeping. I love to peek in on them early in the morning or late at night ... little angels.
Questions for the Next Round
  1. What is one personal goal that you have bouncing around in your head that you're a little afraid of telling anyone ... until now?
  2. What is your favorite modern convenience that you're really happy somebody invented and couldn't live without?
  3. What is your absolute favorite junk food?
  4. What is your least favorite household chore?
  5. What is your favorite song/band right now?
  6. Are you a bargin-hunter or a splurger?
  7. Who is somebody you know personally ... in real life who motivates you to be a better person?
  8. Paper or plastic at the grocery store? Why? (ok just kidding on the why ... can you tell I'm running out of questions?)
  9. What is one job/career that you are really thankful that somebody else does because you would really never, ever, ever want that job?
  10. Do you buy lottery tickets?
  11. What is your favorite piece of art you have in your home? 
My Leibster Winners
Here are the blogs that I read and love. So I'm giving them the Leibster award. Some I'm not sure if they have 200 or less followers. I have to admit this was the hardest part of the award because most of these are just people I've stumbled on over the last year so reaching out to them to say - hey I read your blog made me feel kind of funny. But, I did it.

21 Day Habit
Amy's Running Around
Couch to Whatever
Ironmom
Di-tri-ing
Year of Training Dangerously
Irondads
Journey to go Pro
Mama needs to Run
Mel 2 Cozumel
Running For my Life


1 comment:

  1. Amy! I loved reading your post and getting to know you better. You made me laugh and I had never heard of the Iron Nun so I looked her up. amazing. So why are steel cut oats supposedly better? You kept me in suspense!

    It was nice meeting you in the real world, and I am sure I will see you training around town. Thanks for accepting the award and passing it on!

    ReplyDelete