Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Oreos are evil little cookies

My goal is clean eating but I'm off to a rocky start. Yesterday there were Oreos in the house and I did not resist them. They are apparently a gateway food because I also had a glass of wine ... Hmmm honestly it was two. Okay there confession over.

My goal with clean eating is to really focus on what I'm eating. I tend to be a little bit of a fad-ist with regards to what I eat. I read about paleo I go paleo. I read about juicing - I juice. I read a lot about vegetarians but I've never successfully gone veggie for more than one day.

Overall my core belief is that if you eat food- real food that's the most important thing. When doing this much training (last week was 13 hours) maintaining my energy is really key. Food= energy. So my focus is to make sure I'm eating food not calories from a bag or a box. So the goal is to avoid anything that's processed as much as possible.

I don't live on a farm or even near a farm so my definition of processed is more like highly-processed.  If it comes out of a package from a factory (bag, box, can) I want to skip it. If it grew from the ground or was alive its okay. Oreos bad - carrots good. That's the plan.

Some notable exceptions. I'm not giving up coffee or the cream I put in it. Also my endurance nutrition is about as highly processed as it gets but The Gu's and the Infinit stay in the diet. Other than that I'm going to try for clean.

We'll see how I do. Wish me luck.

5 comments:

  1. Luck!

    I did low-carb high fat (lots of dairy and avocados) for a month and lost five pounds and felt better, but still not zingy. Now I'm skewing to a little less fat and more protein (lots and lots of meat through the week) to see where that gets me.

    Even moderate carb intake (plus the vino) got me bloated, insomniac, and spikey so they are OUT. I don't know how I'm going to manage long rides without gels but I'm determined to stay away . . . we'll see as the year goes on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can do it if you're willing to pack "food" on the bike. I mean people did these rides before there were gels so there has to be a way, right?

      Delete
  2. you are my idol. i don't think can do it. rephrase.... i am not quite willing yet. we'll see how it goes throughout the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flattery will get you everywhere. Thank you for the kind words. Just having the race "out there" is good for some pretty crazy motivation.

      Delete
  3. Hi Amy,
    There's a great new blog out - America's Angriest Trainer - Vinnie Tortorich. He's got a lot of triathletes and other endurance athletes following him - his premise is to become more fat adapted and leave the sugar at home. His concept is "no sugar, no grains." FYI - his language is spicy (and downright explicit) sometimes, but there's a lot of valuable information to be had. Check him out on iTunes.

    ReplyDelete