Thursday, April 25, 2013

For 'da ladies only ... seriously, a girls only product review, Softcup.

Okay you've been warned. But if you're a guy and you are still reading prepare yourself because this is a product review related to menstruation, menses, periods. That's right ...

Okay a little pause while any guys who might still be reading click away.

I'll be honest this product review is way overdue because I couldn't really figure out how to write it. While I don't consider myself super prudish or anything but I'll admit I was a little embarrassed to write it.

What am I talking about? Okay enough beating around the subject. This is a review of the Softcup.

I had heard about cups before but wasn't even sure what they were. Then I saw an offer to try it on a blog I sometimes read. For the love of the run. I admit I was curious and so I saw a request for reviewers and I signed up and they sent me my sample pack under the terms that I would then review the product.

Seemed pretty simple ... until it came to me actually writing about my experience. Eeek. Awkward. Geez what am I ... 12 years old. Nope I'm a grown up. Okay acting like a grown up. Moving on. 

First things first what in the world is Softcup? Well this is an alternative to tampons and traditional pads. Instead of absorbing it collects in this cup you wear inside. Then you discard the whole thing into the trash. 

So for more than you ever wanted to know about me. I have been a tampon wearer for years. They worked as well as could be expected and they fit well with my active lifestyle. I'm a mom of two kids delivered the traditional way and admittedly some things get a little different after childbirth. Nothin major but that's just the way of the world.

I have been, I admit extremely lucky that none of my super long races have fallen on the dates when I have my period. It's just been dumb luck. But I will confess that the idea that I might have my period during something like an half-ironman or gasp the upcoming full Ironman was a super crazy, stress inducing idea. 

It's a little unusual the first few times you try it. After the first time I tried it I wasn't sold. Here's why:

First thought was - holy crap this thing is huge - it goes where?
So this is to give you a concept of the size. Admittedly I have small hands but I mean ... it's big, right. The pictures on the box made me think it was smaller.
That's the only picture ... in this post. Probably a good thing.

So, you aren't supposed to feel it when it's inside. That's not entirely true for me at first. I can feel it a little bit against my cervix. Not uncomfortable but I could tell it was there. I may have not been exactly correct in it's placement because this only happened the first few times.

It's ... um ... a little messy at removal time. So as much as I try to be in "touch" with my feminine self this was a little much for me actually. So, take this for what it's worth. I'm not a nurse used to all kinds of people messes but I am a mom who's been pooped and pee'd and puked on and this was a little icky. Icky is a technical medical term - okay it's not but it's the best way for me to describe it.

But the softcup does have a major perk. And that is that it's totally inside and it can stay there a long time 12-hours. So even though I had written it off as being maybe just not my thing I found that when the time came to plan out my workouts the next month I honestly had to admit it really was the better option. So this month I used the softcup while I swam, ran and even did my 100 mile bike ride. There were no issues (aside from the aforementioned ick factor). That's probably the best endorsement I can give. It just did what it was supposed to do. It's a slightly different thing planning wise but once you have that worked out - it's simple. I guess that's most likely why the second time around was easier for me.

I was going to go all out and try another brand's silicone menstrual cup for a comparitive review. But then I read that that one has to be emptied and stuff and that was just too much for me. I had a little internal visual of my husband asking hey honey what's that by the sink ... and it was beyond my little internal ick-o-meter.

So there you have it. The world's most awkward product review. I admit it's light on details but this is as deep as I go.


No comments:

Post a Comment