Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Tattoos are forever ... Iron fitness not so much

Maintaining your fitness is like blowing into a balloon that has a hole in it.

I read this on a forum the other day and it fits for how I feel at the moment.


I quite honestly took a solid month off from training after the Ironman. In the beginning, I was on vacation for about 10 days. During that time I didn't do anything but walk. I felt a remote urge to jog a bit but I was committed to just spending time with my kids and husband so I fought that urge.

Then when I got home I have done a little biking and a little running and very little swimming. I've done 2 pool workouts and one ows since the race. But I felt fine during everything. I mean I wasn't working hard at anything so of course I felt fine.

I've run into a lot of people who say they took lots of time off after an Ironman. Several people I knew who did Ironman Florida and Ironman Cozumel in 2012 took 3-6 months off after the race. So I was feeling okay about not working out too much. But at the same time it takes a lot of work to get to that level of fitness so I didn't want to lose all that fitness.

What's holding me back ... just get out there silly
There are two things so far that I just really don't want to do yet. First is the 5:30 am swim class. I can't tell you how many days I've shut the alarm off at 5:00 am and just thought ... nope not today. Clearly, the Ironman race hanging over my head was what pushed me to go to that group.  The second thing is the bike trainer in the garage. Oh boy do I hate that thing. I did do a one hour trainer session last week and it was miserable. But triathletes cannot exist on the long ride alone so I decided to go to a spin class.

Also my friend Mikey (who does not read this blog I don't think) has told me that I'll podium if I spin at his gym. At least I think that's what he said. I'm kidding he didn't say that. Although many people who podium at local races do spin at his gym. Podium finishes are still a distant fantasy for me.

Ahh spinning ...
So the spinning class could be said to have made me honest about where I was fitness-wise. Yikes the first 10 minutes I was huffing and puffing like a lifelong smoker. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! I was seriously saying to myself --- "um a month ago you biked 8 hours in an Ironman you can do this." How did this happen?

Well duh!, it happened because I have been clearly positioned in slackertown and sadly that Iron-fitness is not forever. Turns out it's not even guaranteed for a month if you don't work on it. Now that is a Bummer.

What's next? 
I keep saying that this what's next thing is coming next. But it's taking longer to figure out what I'm doing than I would have thought. I do think I want to do another Iron distance event in 2014.Wait - do I. Yes - No. See the problem?

 Follow my blog with Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. I say don't worry about overall fitness right now.

    If I'm remembering right you're basically coming off two years with no break. And the second year was very taxing culminating in your Ironman finish.

    I know several fast people (which makes them authority?) who take multiple months off every year from structured training. During this time they do whatever they want, or at least shift focus from triathlon. One guy switches to competitive cross country skiing. Another uses that time to get back in touch with his love of eating and gains 15-20 pounds. A couple of others just switch to doing whatever they want, and not writing anything down.

    You've pushed hard, I think you can comfortably take more break and keep resetting.

    ReplyDelete