Monday, October 28, 2013

The funny thing about early morning workouts.

I'm at the end of my second week of having a cold. So not much of a training update.

I think I must still look very healthy when I'm sick because people don't seem to notice until I get really sick.  I get sick usually twice a year. Once in the spring-summer once in the fall winter. Usually it's a cold that works its way through in a few days. Last year I got the flu and ended up in bad shape. I don't recommend racing with the flu. Just take my word for it on that ... no need to try it yourself.

But back to this cold - the cold that never ends. I have hit the point where it's in my chest. I have a horrible sounding cough that appears every few hours in an embarrassing coughing attack. So I'm thinking I'm just about healed :-) 

Week one I was pretty sure I was going to kick it. I was hydrating and using herbal remedies and every day I was confident was the last day of the cold.

One of the herbal remedies I tried. Sadly it did not work as well as I had hoped. Bummer.


Then on Thursday I got up and did my strength workout. And came home and realized ... I am really sick. Why did I get up and work out. Well because I didn't realize I was sick. I've done this about 4 times. 2 of those were races. I've learned that if you get up early and just get to the workout sometimes you don't realize you're not well until you are already finished working out. It's a little nuts.

Anyway when I got home. I laid down. I didn't even shower. Emailed my doctor. Drove the kids to school. Came home. Called my doctor (to follow up with the email) and only got up once to pick up the kids from school. My husband was working from home that day. But he hadn't noticed that I was immobile in bed all day. When I asked him if he could pick up the kids he was finishing something up. So I didn't push it. I was feeling so craptastic at that point that I was crying from discomfort in the carpool line and I emailed my husband, "I am really sick."

Now, why would I have to email my husband that I was sick? Well because apparently even when I think I'm certainly about to croak from whatever my ailment is he thinks I'm fine. He never realizes that I feel so craptastic and so I have learned that I have to really clearly tell him. The most ridiculous example of this was last year when I got the flu which resulted in me fainting and having to be carted off by the EMTs to the hospital for fluids. The EMT told him I needed to go to the hospital and he still didn't quite get it. I was totally in a fog but I remember him saying, well what if she doesn't go? Could she just rest and drink fluids? I was so weak I couldn't stand on my own and he still didn't get it. Luckily for me the EMT realized he was insane and put on her tough face and said, "no, she needs to go to the hospital." He's not always terribly observant. He's many other wonderful things.

So, I emailed him that I was sick and he paid attention immediately because this weekend was "birthday weekend." He followed up with my doctor who also subscribes to the Amy isn't so sick that she needs attention philosophy. I clearly need to be more obvious with my symptoms. Although I do think lying in bed all day is pretty obvious. Then he filled my prescription came home and gave me my deadline that I needed to be better by Friday night because we had plans. Seriously, this is my husband. Is this not the weirdest thing ever?

I wasn't better but I did go out Friday and Saturday because after all it was birthday weekend.  Over 3 days (Friday, Saturday, Sunday we went to a combined 5 birthday parties and had homemade cake Sunday night).
My daughters home-made cake from yesterday. Tomorrow is my birthday. Many more candles. Probably not a home made cake - but storebought is fine with me. In other news has anybody else noticed that one tub of icing doesn't cover a whole 2-layer cake anymore? So annoying mostly because I always forget to buy 2.

And I guess it's no surprise ... I'm not better yet. Perhaps going out instead of resting is not the quickest way to heal. But then again it was birthday weekend? What's a girl to do?


1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain. Have the exact same thing. Been home for a week and doctor tells me it's a three week bug. The cough and unmentionable stuff coming up is horrid. Only bright spot is that my knee is getting some much needed healing time. Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete