Thursday, April 10, 2014

I have most likely bitten off more than I can chew

Swim Swim Swim
A few months back my training pal Nicole suggested that we put together a team to register for a 5k open water swim in April. The event is called Swim Miami.

With months to go it seemed like an okay idea and with the group discount it was not expensive so I did it.

So, now that swim is only a few days away and I'm pretty sure I'm not ready. I swam every day last week starting Tuesday. Total of 8k yards. That's not a lot by swim standards but remember I'm not a fast swimmer by any measure. That's double what I was doing in the weeks leading up to the marathon.

My swim volume is definitely coming along but still a 3 mile swim is HUUUUGE. So I'm not sure I'm going to be able to pull this off.

I may drop down to a 1 mile swim or I may swim 2 miles of the 3 mile course (it's 3 one-mile loops)
and call it quits. We'll see what happens. I'm going to swim my little heart out between now and then to see if I can be ready.

Also my husband will be out of town so I'll need a babysitter for the morning - for any distance. Volunteers?

Cycling update
In other news one of our training group is racing IM Texas in just a few weeks. So she had her longest ride of the training cycle this past week so we all did a chunk of the volume with her.

She did the full 112 but I and a few others only did 85 and I will admit I was toasted after that distance. It was the longest ride I've done a long time it was a good wake up call.

At the start the plan was 100 and I thought at a reasonable pace I'd be fine. Wrong-o. At 60 miles I knew I was tired. At 70 I was really uncomfortable and I was really happy to be finished at 85.

Project: "Get Strong!"
I did a few months of strength work toward the end of last month. I stopped because it was simply too expensive.


But it's time to start again. I definitely felt muscle weakness in the last third of the Rome marathon. Coach says that is most likely because the terrain was so uneven that it was more like a trail run. Makes sense. But definitely strength plays a big part in speed and endurance. So it's time to start again. I know because it says so on Training Peaks :-).

So expect more details on that later.

1 comment:

  1. oooh ... i never considered doing 2 out of the 3 miles of swim miami! I don't know how you swim. But my train of thought was that like anything, I would get through it. It may not be fast, it may not be pretty, but if you really want to finish .... you will. good luck as you ramp up your training. I am just a bit behind you and oh, by the way, got back to strength training yesterday. OUCH.

    ReplyDelete