There was a 4 hour bike ride on the schedule ... but instead I had breakfast in bed.
|Breakfast in bed group selfie. Yes that's my daughter pulling her brother's hair. Isn't she sweet? This was followed by tears. But it was actually a good breakfast in bed. We snuggle and they give me their gifts. I love these guys.|
A few years ago I hated mothers day. It was an annoying day that seemed to have nothing to do with me and my motherhood and everything about dragging my very young kids to a super boring meal with my mother-in-law.
I'm not sure if the lowest point in my mothers day history was when my husband and I actually had a huge fight because he bought me an iPad (which resulted in my daughter not wanting to give me her homemade gift for me) or the year my husband and daughter had the stomach flu and my mother in law invited herself over anyway so I got to clean up vomit, shop, cook her dinner and clean up said dinner on Mother's Day.
|Jack let my balloon escape to the ceiling. So it will probably be there until August at which point it will sink down and scare the crap out of me in the middle of the night.|
- Kids are with their moms. We're a blended family and so it may seem obvious but for me it only made sense that my step-kids be with their mom with no pressure about the whole step-mom thing. It works for us.
- No sleepovers at grandmas the night before. I like to wake up in my own bed. Plus when the kids are babies my main gift is to have daddy up with the kids for an extra 30 minutes of rest which totally wasn't working at grandmas house. Well maybe it was for grandma ...
- No brunches. I hate crowded restaurants and my kids are still too young to actually "brunch" so this was a necessary change although it did end up that I ended up cooking and cleaning on several mothers days which while better than brunch wasn't always the best.
- No gifts except from kids to mom's.
- Time is the best gift of all. I really want to have mother's day memories so I have tried to shift the day from brunch and wrapping paper to something fun that we do together.
- It's just a day. It was a bummer when we had the stomach flu but stuff like that happens - it's just a day.
|Lunch at Island Grill after we bailed on the snorkeling and were on our way to Theater of the Sea. We saw a little tiny crab in the water.|
Except it was too windy (20 mph winds). When we got to the dock the snorkel boat captain told us that the morning boat half the people were seasick. Ewww. He told the family in front of us that it was horrible. So we cancelled. On to plan B.
So new plan - Theater of the Sea.
|giant florida lobster in the "lagoon" You can see the blue fish in the background that the kids chased around.|
We had never been there but it was fun. We swam with the dolphins and had a great time. We actually did eat both lunch and dinner out since we went down to the keys but both were pretty casual low stress meals and I had a great day overall.
|me swimming with a dolphin. Yes I do have a giant prominent forehead but more importantly this was really fun. Do you see my smile?|
Being a mom is a gift in the way that every day is a gift. Sometimes it's hard to remember. This day was pretty great and I'm pretty lucky it fell on Mother's Day.