Thursday, August 14, 2014

Swimming Biking and Running ...oh my

Swimming - Alligator Lighthouse Swim advice.

My blogger buddy ... she's actually a real life friend too but blogger buddy is more fun ... is prepping to swim Alligator Lighthouse which I did last year. I wrote about it here.

She asked me for feedback and suggestions and before I gave her any help I went back to read what I wrote. It's all pretty much true. Of course, she's going to do the swim pulling somebody in a kayak so that's a lot tougher.

So here's my advice in a nutshell TriathlonMami!
  • Have a boat and a kayak to support you.
  • Change swimmers on a time basis not a distance basis. 
  • Be prepared to swim more than 8 miles
  • Be prepared to swim some of the time against a current or tide shift
  • Sunscreen, and more sunscreen it's a long day in the sun
  • I hope you don't get jellies but if you do you can borrow my jellyfish suit
  • Stay for the after party it's a fun time
  •  Smile and enjoy the swim. It's the one of the most beautiful places on earth. 
Biking - Get that Bike Cleaned up 
I have 3 friends fundraising for Chron's and Colitis Foundation in conjunction with training for Ironman Chattanooga. They are hosting a bike washing event this Sunday in Miami so bring your bike down to Mack Cycle Sunday afternoon and for just $15 somebody else will wash your bike for you.




Running - Virtual Run - also fundraising. 
The bike wash fundraiser only works for those folks here in Miami but this virtual run works everywhere.

 
Let me be honest here for a second. Two of my training buddies who are fundraising are really behind. It turns out that they are much better triathletes than they are fundraisers. They have put in about 18 weeks of training for this race which takes a lot of time and they are probably about physically ready to race this triathlon. But for the fundraising they are under a lot of pressure to get it done. This is why I'm helping them to promote these things. Any help you can give is really appreciated.

So, this is a virtual run. Which means that you can run anywhere ... and actually truthfully you don't have to even run at all I guess. But that's no fun so get out there and run. You sign up and you even get a medal mailed to you in September. That's fun, right?

Please visit this link and register today to run this virtual run. They need at least 100 people to register in order for the race to be a success.

Thanks for reading. Thanks for helping. I'm helping these two guys mostly because they are my friends. However, my son did actually get colitis when he was just one year old. I was and am extremely thankful for the medical care he received at the time. His case was simple and temporary but research is important for these diseases. So feel good when you donate to this cause.





5 comments:

  1. Thank you Amy! Jellyfish suit? I didn't even know that existed... And I'll try to get my bike there sunday. It's not like it couldn't use a wash ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's official purpose is a sun protection suit but it really came in handy.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes. The motor boats have to stay kind of far away from the swimmers but the kayak or paddle boarder can be right next to the swimmer.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete