Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Ironman Chattanooga Race Week

I sat down yesterday and wrote a god awful boring post about goals and tapering and I think even packing. It was so boring I'm surprised I stayed awake to write it.

Thankfully I realized before I published it how boring it was. You are welcome.

So - it's race week.
Sunday morning my stomach did a flip-flop when I realized that. I'm a ball of nerves. My bedroom is covered with things that need to either go in my transition bag or into my suitcase. I'm excited. I'm nervous. But most of all I'm very very lucky.

I've done the workouts. I'm healthy and unless something wacko happens I'll be on the starting line. I'm thankful for that. If things go my way I'll make my way all the way to the finish line under my own power approximately 144.6 miles later.

Oh so trite but true ... I'm thankful
My family will be there with me. My husband who supports this absolutely ridiculous hobby and only occasionally laughs at how seriously I sometimes take it. My kids who are 10 and 8 will be there. I hope they aren't too bored and I hope they actually come cheer for me a bit too. My mother-in-law and father-in-law are also both flying up to see it. My father-in-law will be 80 next month so I'm super thankful for that.

I even made everyone matching t-shirts that they can wear that say Team Amy Stone. I know, I'm a geek.

I'm not going to win, place or show
For Ironman France I was very concerned I would not be able to finish. When I made the bike cutoff I felt elated because I knew I was most likely going to finish.

This time I'm not as nervous about that. It's been very strange to acknowledge that I now have a bit of confidence that I can cover this distance. It will take something going wrong for me to not finish but that does happen all the time. I mean just last week they cancelled an entire race because of weather. A flat tire would be a problem. A bike crash is always really bad. I still have 4 days to avoid getting sick. I could oversleep. So, I'll try to avoid those things. But I proceed knowing that a finish in this race is not guaranteed.

Of course I have goals. I would like to finish faster than I finished in France which was 15:40. I hope to have a strong swim. I've put a lot of time in on my swim this year. I'd like to run a faster marathon but mostly I want to smile across the finish line - again.

So, I'm going to go out there and do my best. My best isn't super fast by anybody's standards - not even my own. But if you'd like to track me I'm bib 1149.

So thanks for reading. Good luck to anybody else racing this weekend. My friend Nancy is doing her first tri here  in Miami. I bet she's more nervous than I am. My friend Katie is doing her first Olympic distance also here in Miami. There are oodles of folks racing in Chattanooga with me and Augusta Georgia so good luck to all of them as well.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment